Each major in MAE must complete a certain number of upper-division technical elective units to satisfy graduation requirements. These electives are intended to broaden and enhance professional goals. They must be courses that are quantitative in engineering, mathematical, physical or biological sciences.
Note: The schedule of TEs varies from year to year. Students are recommended to check the course offerings webpage at the beginning of each academic year to see which TEs will be offered and then plan accordingly.
Pre-approved Technical Electives (TE) Lists
Aerospace Engineering (updated September 2023)
Environmental Engineering (updated May 2021)
Environmental Engineering - for students following a catalog from Fall 2013 or earlier
Mechanical Engineering (updated September 2022)
- Must meet all prerequisites. If not, can submit a prerequisite waiver petition but note that student must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for that type of petition and approval is not guaranteed. (For non-MAE courses, must submit an EASy request to the specific department and explain why you would like to take the course.)
- All TEs must be taken for a letter grade. No P/NP grades allowed except in MAE 199.
- MAE 197 cannot be accepted as a TE.
- For courses not on the approved list, you can submit a TE course substitution petition, along with the syllabus, for review. Approval is not guaranteed.
- To enroll in a graduate course, please submit an Enrollment Authorization System (Easy) request from Friday of Week 9.
-The department list of TEs is more up-to-date than the list in the degree audit. If you enroll in a course on the pre-approved TE list for your major and it does not show on your degree audit, please notify a MAE undergraduate advisor through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) , name the specific TE(s) and we will update your degree audit.