Spring 2019 TA/Reader/Tutor Applications are now open! You may apply and submit your application here.
The MAE department employs Instructional Assistants (Teaching Assistants [TAs], Readers and Tutors) during each quarter of the academic year. These positions are allocated based on course enrollment, and positions are filled on a quarterly basis through an application and selection process. Instructional Assistant applications will open shortly after the course schedule is published (typically around week 5). MAE Graduate Students, MATS Graduate Students and MAE Undergraduate Students will be notified via email when applications are open.
Positions are very competitive and not all applicants will be offered a position. Offers from Instructors of Record are not binding; only the MAE Student Affairs Office can extend an official offer of employment.
What to Do After You Receive an Offer
- Follow the link on the Offer to review the Appointment Letter and the Description of Duties. Contact the Instructor of Record if you have any questions about the job requirements. The Offer will have an option for you to Accept or Decline the position; offers must be accepted before appointments are entered in the payroll system. International Students who are offered their first TA position must contact MAE Grad Admin (email@example.com) to schedule an English Language Certification Examination (ELCE). If you have never worked as a GSR, TA, Reader or Tutor, you should contact your home department to see if you need to complete Hiring Paperwork.
- Contact the Instructor of the course for further instructions.
- Complete any required training:
- Injury & Illness Prevention Training (required of all first-time employees within 30 days of hire)
- Preparing for Success: Online Course for Instructional Assistants (required of all first-time Instructional Assistants)
- UAW/New ASE Orientation: Friday, January 25, 2019 | 8:00AM - 8:45 AM | Center Hall, Room 109 (An email will be sent out with ASE/UAW Training dates)
- Readers and Tutors will need to visit EBU2 to pick up their Time Sheets.
- International Students will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).
- Please submit an office space request.
Teaching Assistant (TA)
Assists in the instruction of an upper or lower division course at the University under the supervision of a faculty member. The TA primarily assists the faculty member in charge of the course by conducting discussion or laboratory sections that supplement faculty lectures and by grading assignments and examinations.
A TA may also assist with the development of assignments or exams, hold office hours and proctor examinations. In the case of basic language, reading and composition, some other skills-building courses, and a few other courses, a teaching assistant may lead the class meetings, but the general instructional content of the course, as well as the official assignment of student grades and decisions on grade appeals, are the responsibility of the faculty member in charge of the course.
Before they can be appointed as a Teaching Assistant, all International Graduate Students at UCSD are required to demonstrate a high level of oral and aural competence in the English language. International Students must contact MAE Grad Admin (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an English Language Certification Examination (ELCE) as soon as they are offered their first TA position. The ELCE must be taken during finals week or the week after to be eligible to work as a TA the following quarter. Students can follow this link for more information on the ELCE.
Assists a course instructor by grading homework, papers, or exams and may also hold office hours to answer students' questions about such assignments.
Provides tutoring to small groups (three or more) of undergraduate or graduate students who require additional help to understand a course or topical material.
Graduate Students must be in good academic standing and must be registered full-time (12 units of graduate-level courses; undergraduate courses do not count towards full-time standing) during the quarter for which they are hired. Graduate Students cannot be employed more than 50% during the academic year.
Undergraduate Students must be registered full-time students, in Junior or Senior standing with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
All Readers and Tutors must complete and submit time sheets to receive payment. Time sheets can be picked up from the front desk of the Business Affairs wing of EBU2 (through the left entrance). Deadlines and instructions are listed on the time sheets. Pay cannot be completed if a time sheet is not turned in by the deadline. Students cannot exceed the hours described in their appointment letter without prior approval from both the Instructor of Record and the MAE Student Affairs Manager.
2018-2019 Pay Rates (before taxes)
- Teaching Assistant
- 50% - $2,363.66/month
- 25% - $1,181.83/month
- 37.5% - $1,772.74/month
- Reader (Graduate Student) - $16.26/hour
- Reader (Undergraduate Student) - $15.45/hour
- Tutor (Graduate Student) - $24.08/hour
- Tutor (Undergraduate Student) - $18.51/hour
Graduate Students hired as Instructional Assistants at 25% or above are eligible for Fee Remission which covers the majority of Resident Tuition and Fees. The MAE Department does not cover the balance of fees. The TA Fee Deferment Program allows graduate students appointed at a minimum of 25% for the entire quarter to pay the balance of their registration fees (excluding nonresident supplemental tuition) through payroll deduction.