Instructional Assistants (TA/Reader/Tutor)

Fall 2020 Academic Student Employee (ASE) Applications are open (as of 07/01/2020)

                                       Submit your application here                                                                                      


The MAE department employs Academic Student Employees (Teaching Assistants [TAs], Readers, and Tutors) during each quarter of the academic year as well as during summer sessions 1 and 2. These positions are allocated based on course enrollment, and positions are filled on a quarterly basis through an application and selection process.  MAE Graduate Students, MATS Graduate Students and MAE Undergraduate Students will be notified via email when applications are open.

Positions are very competitive and not all applicants will be offered a position. Offers from Instructors of Record are not binding; only the MAE Student Affairs Office can extend an official offer of employment.

Please review the UCSD Graduate Division information about Academic Student Employees (ASE's) for greater detail (click)

RE: Fall 2020, there is no definitive guidance from campus yet regarding expectations for instructional assistants for remote/online courses vs. hybrid courses (, but as of now, the general expectation is that instructional assistants may be expected to be physically present for hybrid course offerings.      

What to Do After You Receive an Offer

  1. Follow the link on the Offer to review the Appointment Letter and the Description of Duties. Contact the Course's Instructor of Record (not MAE Student Affairs) if you have any questions about the job requirements. The Offer will have an option for you to Accept or Decline the position. Offers must be accepted before appointments are entered in the payroll system. International Students who are offered their first TA position must contact MAE Grad Admin ( to schedule an English Language Certification Examination (ELCE). If you have never worked as a GSR, TA, Reader, or Tutor, you should contact your home department to see if you need to complete Hiring Paperwork. 
  2. Contact the Instructor of the course for further instructions.
  3. Complete all required training:

           Next Orientation Session:

        Fall 2020 New ASE Orientation (TBA)


  1. Readers and Tutors will need to complete Time Sheets online via Ecotime.
  2. International Students will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).


Academic Student Employee Roles

Teaching Assistant (TA)

Assists in the instruction of an upper or lower division course at the University under the supervision of a faculty member. The TA primarily assists the faculty member in charge of the course by conducting discussion or laboratory sections that supplement faculty lectures and by grading assignments and examinations.

A TA may also assist with the development of assignments or exams, hold office hours and proctor examinations. In the case of basic language, reading and composition, some other skills-building courses, and a few other courses, a teaching assistant may lead the class meetings, but the general instructional content of the course, as well as the official assignment of student grades and decisions on grade appeals, are the responsibility of the faculty member in charge of the course.

Before they can be appointed as a Teaching Assistant, all International Graduate Students at UCSD are required to demonstrate a high level of oral and aural competence in the English language. International Students must contact MAE Grad Admin ( to schedule an English Language Certification Examination (ELCE) as soon as they are offered their first TA position. The ELCE must be taken during finals week or the week after to be eligible to work as a TA the following quarter. Students can follow this link for more information on the ELCE. 

Reader (Grader) 

Assists a course instructor by grading homework, papers, or exams and may also hold office hours to answer students' questions about such assignments.


Provides tutoring to small groups (three or more) of undergraduate or graduate students who require additional help to understand a course or topical material.



Graduate Students must be in good academic standing and must be registered full-time to work 20-hours per week (50% employment) or registered as half-time students to work 10-hours per week (25% employment)  during the quarter for which they are hired. Grad Student's must be enrolled in 12 units (6 units if half-time) units of graduate-level courses; undergraduate courses do not count towards full-time Graduate Standing. Graduate Students cannot be employed more than 50% during the academic year. For greater detail about UCSD Graduate Student employment eligibility please review this UCSD Graduate Division resource: Graduate Student Employment Eligibility

Undergraduate Students must be registered full-time students, in Junior or Senior standing with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.


Percent Time and Summer Employment

UC graduate student employment policy states that a full-time graduate student may be employed a maximum of 50% time (20 hours per week) during the academic year and up to 100% time (40 hours per week) during the summer months. The summer is defined as the day after the Spring quarter ends and the day before the Fall quarter begins. Students do not need to be enrolled in either Summer Session to work in the Summer as an ASE (Academic Student Employee) as long as they were enrolled in the Spring quarter preceeding Summer Session.

Students enrolled part-time or who are on Half-time status may work up to 25% (10 hours per week) employment in a quarter while under that status (half-time)


All Readers and Tutors must complete and submit time sheets to receive payment. Time sheets can be picked up from the front desk of the Business Affairs wing of EBU2 (through the left entrance). Deadlines and instructions are listed on the time sheets.  Pay cannot be completed if a time sheet is not turned in by the deadline. Students cannot exceed the hours described in their appointment letter without prior approval from both the Instructor of Record and the MAE Student Affairs Manager.

2018-2019 Pay Rates (before taxes)

  • Teaching Assistant
    • 50% - $2,363.66/month
    • 25% - $1,181.83/month
    • 37.5% - $1,772.74/month
  • Reader (Graduate Student) - $16.26/hour
  • Reader (Undergraduate Student) - $15.45/hour
  • Tutor (Graduate Student) - $24.08/hour
  • Tutor (Undergraduate Student) - $18.51/hour


Fee Remission

Graduate Students hired as Instructional Assistants at 25% or above are eligible for Fee Remission which covers the majority of Resident Tuition and Fees. The MAE Department does not cover the balance of fees. The TA Fee Deferment Program allows graduate students appointed at a minimum of 25% for the entire quarter to pay the balance of their registration fees (excluding nonresident supplemental tuition) through payroll deduction. Additionally, students who will be working 25% or more as a Teaching Assistant (TA) during Fall quarter can apply for a TA Loan to cover expenses until receipt of their first paycheck on November 1st.